Happy Birthday Roald Dahl! Today would have been the British novelist's 103rd birthday and readers worldwide will be celebrating his magical books in all sorts of wondercrump ways.
From the BFG to Matilda to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dahl remains one of the most loved children's storytellers, delighting readers young and old with his weird and wonderful words.
To celebrate his storytelling genius, here are 16 of our favourite Roald Dahl quotes.
1. “So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” - Matilda
2. “You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” - The Twits
3. “Two rights don't equal a left.” - The BFG
4. “However small the chance might be of striking lucky, the chance was there.” - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
5. “I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.” - Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. “The matter with human beans," the BFG went on, "is that they is absolutely refusing to believe in anything unless they is actually seeing it right in front of their own schnozzles.” The BFG
7. “Well, maybe it started that way. As a dream, but doesn’t everything. Those buildings. These lights. This whole city. Somebody had to dream about it first. And maybe that is what I did. I dreamed about coming here, but then I did it.” - James and the Giant Peach
8. “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” - The Witches
9. “Don't gobblefunk around with words.” - The BFG
10. “The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives.” - Matilda
11. “I was glad my father was an eye-smiler. It meant he never gave me a fake smile because it's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself.” - Danny the Champion of the World
12. “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - The Minpins
13. “So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install A lovely bookshelf on the wall. Then fill the shelves with lots of books.” - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
14. “He taught me that if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it.” - My Uncle Oswald
15. “We is in Dream Country,' the BFG said. 'This is where all dreams is beginning.” - The BFG
16. “My dear young fellow,' the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, 'there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet.” - James and the Giant Peach
Discover more about Roald Dahl Day here.