As November draws to a close, we happen upon the birthday of a much-loved and influential British writer. Today marks the 121st birthday of C. S. Lewis, who wrote the classic Chronicles of Narnia children's book series.
The fantastical realm of Narnia is one of our favourite fictional worlds and it's always a pleasure stepping through the wardrobe and returning to Lewis' magical stories.
In celebration of the author's wise words and novels, here are ten of his quotes that still resonate to this day.
1. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
2. “Courage, dear heart.”
3. “What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.”
4. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
5. “Friendship ... is born at the moment when one man says to another "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself...”
6. “If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”
7. “A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
8. “You can make anything by writing.”
9. “Eating and reading are two pleasures that combine admirably.”
10. "Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again."